Wednesday, 4 November 2009

Palm Oil shopping challenge

I am sick and tired of companies using palm oil in anything and everything they produce - Palm oil is the cheap, unhealthy, environmentally damaging poor excuse for an option stained in the blood of the entire dwindling Orangutan population. Palm oil has brought the Orangutan and other wildlife to their knees and if nothing is changed soon will single handedly bring the Orangutan to extinction. That is reality, that is the blood big companies will have on their hands. There are no two ways about it.

A while ago I stopped buying anything with palm oil and I hope everyone follows suit. "Ethically" sourced or not, do not support the use of Palm Oil.

Monday night I went grocery shopping and was checking the label of everything I buy (as I do). Specifically I was looking for an environmentally friendly dishwashing liquid and I came across Coles "Green Choice" dishwashing liquid. The fucking nerve of these pricks... at the bottom of the bottle they lay claim to supporting the environment with "10 cents from every bottle sold goes to a carbon cleaning program" or some shit like that (i'll check what it actually says next time). Then I turn it over and have a look at the ingredients... Palm or Coconut Oil. Fuck these hypocritical mongrels and their contradictions. Using palm oil is just contributing to the problem you dumb arse squeezers.
Anyway as I write this i'm also writing a letter to tell them what I think of their so called green choice cleaning products. Be aware of this range of "green" products.

HERE'S YOUR CHALLENGE #1: - Do your normal shopping without buying ANY products with Palm Oil.
Next time you go shopping (and then every time after that) check the label of EVERY SINGLE item you buy and put back everything that says palm oil. ALSO, put back everything that says Vegitable Oil plus has a content of saturated fat... you can bet your arse it's palm oil. Unfortunately peanut and soy are the only ones that need to be labelled. And these companies will hide the fact they're using palm oil by labelling it Vegtable Oil - Don't be fooled!
Let me know how you go and even suggest alternative products!

BUT, fortunately there are people striving to make a change in the laws so that companies must be held accountable to label Palm Oil as Palm Oil. Shove the palm oil back in the face of these pricks until this shit is over. It's time to make these companies pay for the damage they're doing... Bad PR and economically is the only way they will listen. Public outcry and loss of sales will end this war. Look how quick Cadbury was to reverse their poor decision to use palm oil and appologise prefusely. Positive changes can be made.
Check out these website for action and info.
http://palmoilaction.org.au/
http://www.zoo.org.au/palmoil
http://www.orangutans.com.au/
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=5231183738
http://twitter.com/Project_18

CHALLENGE #2: - Write to companies using palm oil and request they change their habits.
Check out http://palmoilaction.org.au/ they have all the details on how to do it properly.

CHALLENGE #3: - Encourage all your friends and family to do the same.

In the words of Earth Crisis
"The time to react is long overdue from protest to confrontation by me and by you."

1 comment:

Greenseekers said...

Grea Stuff. Also some great tips by Zhem. They are a great Aus follow on Facebook, Twitter and e-Newsletter. http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/pages/Brisbane-Australia/Zhem/55723212924